Lead UI Designer
Toronto, Ontario M5T 1X5 - Canada
Creative Niche is excited to exclusively partner with one of the most talented and delightful eCommerce agencies in the city, pb+j, to hire as their team continues to grow. Currently, we are hiring a Lead UI Designer.
pb+j is a top-rated, design-driven eCommerce agency on a mission to make the future of commerce more human-centered and more joyful. Through world-class digital strategy and daring design, we help high-growth, DTC lifestyle and wellness brands achieve radical change with their digital storefronts and forge unignorable impressions with their customers. We also love a really bad pun. Or three.
Reporting to the Head of Design, the Lead UI Designer is responsible for leveraging their strengths and experience in creating UI and visual design concepts, while working closely with the UX Designer and the rest of the design and dev team to ensure overall happiness and satisfaction of every patron. In addition, the incumbent assists in the execution of the design team’s strategy as it links to the overall strategy of pb+j.
- Leading or assisting in the execution of 10+ projects simultaneously, producing some of pb+j’s best UI and visual design concepts, including final visual design and UI elements
- Ensuring the UI is intuitive, carefully considering each and every visual, interactive element the user may encounter
- Collaborating directly with patrons and other team members, providing creative direction to projects from a UI/visual design perspective while comfortably articulating and defending design rationale where appropriate
- Providing regular project updates to patrons and team members, and finding creative solutions to project challenges
- Quality checking visual design across many projects, including those of other team members
- Providing guidance and mentorship to other designers on the team
- Jumping in on other tasks where required to help out other Jammers
- Must have 4+ years of experience doing visual UI design for web, desktop and mobile applications
- Proven experience in strategy and research, distilling quantitative and qualitative research, conducting competitive analysis and providing feedback into human-centred and relevant design goals
- Strong experience in and understanding of UX best practices, following a human-centred design approach that promotes usability, accessibility and empathy
- Proven understanding of design fundamentals, applying with conviction the best principles of layout composition, typography, colour, visual hierarchy and motion design
- Proven understanding of UI best practices, leading and creating user interfaces that are sleek and easy to use
- Strong experience in motion for web, effectively communicating animations and transitions
- Proven understanding of HTML/CSS, leveraging coding knowledge to design compositions that follow logic and function
- Proven experience with seamless handoff & QA, guiding the development team through the Build and QA processes
- Strong knowledge and experience using Figma. It is all you need to design in this role but you are not limited to it.
- High level of knowledge creating high-fidelity prototypes in Figma or other applications to communicate motion and screen transition
- Must be an Adobe Creative Suite & Invision user with a strong level of knowledge of other conventional design tools
- UX Experience, assisting in the creation of road maps, CRO audits, wireframes, and strategic solutions rooted on goals, UX laws and user personas are assets
- Ecommerce experience and a portfolio with ecommerce UI design work from clients is an asset
- Accessibility experience, ensuring components and designs meet WCAG accessibility standards is an asset
- Experience in identity and branding, improving branding elements and effectively using brand guides on digital applications is an asset
- Design Systems experience, designing and documenting components and interaction patterns is an asset
- Experience with icons and illustration, creating graphic assets for the web is an asset
- Experience in front end development and coding – HTML, CSS, JS – is an asset
At pb+j, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our jammers feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to work better as a team and produce a better product for each of our patrons. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.